Monday, November 16, 2015

That's how I roll

I've made sponge cake a number of times to use in place of store-bought ladyfingers for tiramisus, but I'd never attempted a jellyroll before. I was inspired by watching The Great British Baking Show (I am so in love with that show) to try making one. Although it started out fine, it turned out...just okay.
folding meringue into yolk mixture
shiny, captain!
pulling a Cleopatra
 I put Costco's orange-mango jelly in the center and it tastes fine, but the roll wasn't tight enough and the skin had stuck to the towel it was rolled in (not enough icing sugar, I suppose), so it looked like it was recovering from a bad sunburn. *sigh*
less than picture perfect
If I make this again, I'm going to make cream roll so I can put chocolate frosting all over the outside to hide the ugly parts. Hah.

Have you ever made jellyroll before? Do you have a favorite recipe?

"I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be." ~ Douglas Adams